Monday, February 1, 2016

My Name is Legion, for we are Blingy

Wormhole space is special. It has a certain charm to it and I believe it sometimes radiates a portion of that charm to the k-space connections it leads to.

I was scanning my way out of a chain I logged off the day before after a small fleet roam, trying to replenish my supplies with nanite paste and cap boosters for my Stratios. I warp to an A239 wormhole leading to low-sec. The system is named Jerhesh and is located in the Aridia region.

Only me and another pilot are in local, but what I see on Dscan is intriguing to say the least: a Legion and blood raider wrecks. You, sir, have my attention. I usually don't like hunting in low-sec, but I know I just can't pass up a chance to a possible Legion kill.

I narrow the location of the Legion to be within 5 degrees of an anomaly, more relieved now that he wasn't doing a DED site, which was my initial thought. While warping to the anomaly I quickly check the killboard of the pilot, but I already know there's a very small chance for it to be bait - it's a quiet system and there was nobody to bait in the first place before I entered 1 minute ago.

I land on the anomaly while maintaining cloak. The rats and some wrecks are there but the Legion warped off. He probably saw me on Dscan when breaking wormhole cloak. I move to a tactical while trying to figure out what he's doing and where he's currently at. I realize he's at a Mobile Depot at an unscanned signature or at a safe spot. I decide to wait and contemplate my next move, but at the same time I was asking myself: what is he refitting into? I hope not to a travel fit to leave the system because of me.

The Legion warps back to the anomaly. My blood starts pumping. I know now he's probably not afraid of me and most likely refitted to some tackle mods. I take a closer look at his ship. I recognize the cloaky and the active rep subsystems... and he is laser-fit. This is perfect for me. I warp at range at a wreck near the Legion. I ignore the rats still on field and decloak and engage him.

WHY CAN'T I SCRAM HIM? I'm such a noob, my safety was on. I quickly disable it and tackle him. Aura: "Your security status has been lowered". Yeah, no shit. He returns the favor with a scram and the battle starts, even though he had plenty of time to get out because of my error.

I cycle and overheat my neuts a bit, while my Geckos are working on his armor. He is catching some reps and tanks pretty well, but, not long after, he stops firing and his armor starts dropping. His capacitor was pretty much empty. From that point on, it was easy. Legion explodes, capsule warps off and I open the wreck. What I see next surpasses my imagination:
I mean I've never even seen officer mods before in my relatively short Eve career of 1.5 years. I go back to my wormhole chain and start scanning for a k-space exit near a tradehub, or at least a high-sec to get the loot to safety. I was blessed with an exit 6 jumps from Jita. I pass through a 10-man Marmite camp without a care in the world, laughing like a mad man all the way back to Jita 4-4. I sell the officer mods to some buy orders, which, surprisingly, were not part of a trade margin scam.

Praise Bob for giving me this connection to a remote place in Aridia.

3 comments:

  1. That's some impressive shinies. Nice catch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. It was a long time ago, but it's still my most valuable solo kill up until now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loot fairy says "YES". Good luck Valtyr, and may BOB give you more prizes like this.

    ReplyDelete